Upcoming Workshop: September in Santa Barbara with Calvin Liang
September 20-22, 2022 $745
Registration Begins February 15 at 6 PM Pacific Time
Calvin Liang will be teaching a 3 day workshop. Two days will be spent working on a single studio painting from photos with one day of plein air painting. Calvin will begin with a demonstration then he will spend time with each student throughout the rest of the day. It is recommended to bring a laptop or tablet for the studio days. Alternatively, you may bring color prints of your reference photos.
Plein air painting is a foundational part of training the eye to better understand the concepts of composition, design, and color harmony. The lessons will include:
- How to plan a composition that will be effective for the artist’s intentions and preferences;
- How to better see and use warm and cool color in landscape;
- How to command hardness and softness of the edges to create space in a painting;
- How to simplify the subject matter through the use of basic design, value, color and drawing skills;
- How to consider the reasons for different paint surface textures, and brushstroke direction over the forms; and
- How to get the best possible results in a short time.
We require proof of COVID-19 vaccination and boosters for all workshop participants. Personal protective equipment must be worn in the studio and in the field. All participants have to provide medical insurance information in advance in case of emergency. Further information will be provided to those who are registered.
To register for this workshop: complete the contact form and submit after 6PM (Pacific) on February 15th. We will contact you with an invoice from PayPal on or after February 16th. Spaces are filled in the order submissions are received. A wait list will be maintained after the workshop fills.